Third time is a charm on the Kinsmans!

Trip Details
Date: June 15th, 2018
Total Distance: 10.49 mi (via Garmin fenix 5X)
Total Time: 5 hours 36 minutes
Total Elevation: 4065 ft gained
Click for more details.

I have hiked the Kinsmans twice before. Once with Boomer on a damp cloudy day where we found ourselves in the clouds all day until we got to Bald Peak on the way down and the clouds finally left the summits leaving a beautiful blue sky. The second time was a winter ascent again that found us stuck in the clouds on a freezing day. I have always wanted to hike it again to measure the south summits and figure out which one was the true summit and see the amazing Franconia Notch view that I had heard so much about.

Detroit Rock City is on a pace to complete his first 48 cycle in a calendar year. Knowing he needed the Kinsmans and that it was a hike that was not too tough for Boomer I suggested we do that hike on our free day. My one stipulation was the forecast had to basically guarantee views. The forecast said the rain would finish up around 0700, the clouds would burn off, and the skies would show blue for miles. Well...it rained the entire drive up. Way past the original forecasted time. The rain stopped when I got around the notch, but the clouds were thick. At the parking lot the sky was gray, but even though I am not a betting man I decided to take the gamble. I was not enjoying myself the entire ascent and all the way to South Kinsman as the clouds were not moving. Good things come to those who wait (and hike with Detroit Rock City as he told me he always has views). While hanging out on the chair cairn summit of South Kinsmans that clouds started departing and the view started appearing!

  • I am not sure when the trailhead was moved (the White Mountain Guide Online says it was recent), but the first part of the trail felt very unfamiliar. I remember it as a logging road.
  • The trail starts out cutting through the woods until it eventually merges with a logging road. Once we got to the old sugarhouse it all started to look familiar. 
  • The trail is quite eroded once you part ways with the logging road, but otherwise straight forward.
  • Once you junction with the Kinsman Ridge Trail you start to come upon some scrambling that Boomer needed some help with (the worst was right before and after the North Kinsman summit).
  • The clouds were still thick at the junction and at North Kinsman. We skipped the lookout.
  • Once you hit the col between the summits the trail becomes much easier and before you know it you are on South Kinsman. 
  • South Kinsman has two summits (north and south knob). Most GPSs will tell you the first summit is the summit. Looking at the trail you would probably bypass this summit as it is blocked off by purposely placed sticks and rocks. You can easily step over them, but it looks intentional. This is the summit I stopped on with Boomer on our first hike up these summits. Still no view. The second summit is more open and has the chair cairn that most consider the real summit (including the White Mountain Guide). We measured and got a final answer (hint: it is the north knob).
  • While hanging out on the chair cairn the clouds started to part. The view was coming into focus and damn...what a view. Clouds were still lingering on the Franconia Ridge so we headed back towards North Kinsman hoping those would dissipate. 
  • It was nice to see the North Knob crowded at this point with a bunch of people who never went to the South Knob. I guess I am not the only one who always thought that was the summit and not the chair cairn south knob.
  • At North Kinsman we headed down to the view and just sat there for awhile taking it in. There was not a cloud in the sky. Detroit Rock City followed some kids down to an even lower viewpoint that brought Kinsman Pond into view, but I decided to not stress Boomer out and we stayed at the higher one.
  • On the way down we stopped at Bald Peak. Nice views, but the black flies were brutal so we did not stay long. On the way out I got the privilege of talking with the NH state 911... As we were hiking down I heard what sounded like a siren. After a few I realized what it was and ripped my backpack off (my phone was buried deep in it). Scrambled to get to my phone as I heard to start ringing and dispatch answering. I told them it was a mistake and they wished me a good day. Phew! Oh no...now the phone starts counting down to notify my emergency contacts! CANCEL! Phew! Now I could relax. Apparently my phone pressed against things just perfectly to trigger the emergency call sequence.
  • We also stopped at Kinsman Flume, which one day I hope to explore more but we stopped at the first look down the eroded dike. Then we listened to Toto's "Africa" because it was Africa Friday (Greg and the Morning Buzz reference)! Detroit Rock City threw on some Third Eye Blind "Semi-Charmed Life" as a throwback to our Flume/Liberty hike.
  • We then skedaddled off the trail and back to our cars. Soon enough I was back on I-93 heading south and getting stuck in a US Customs and Border Patrol stop. That was fun!
Below are some photos from the hike:

Cloudy skies at the trailhead...I do not usually gamble...
Detroit Rock City taking to the trail with only a vest. I am envious of his packing skills.
The old sugarhouse. Looks in great condition. 
The logging road was a nice part of the trail.
That is me with my huge bag!
This photo is provided by (name redacted). Used with permission.

This survey is just north of the Kinsman Ridge Trail junction.
North Kinsman summit

North Knob
South Knob
NORTH KNOB IS THE TRUE SUMMIT OF SOUTH KINSMAN

The chair cairn on the south knob summit of South Kinsman
Detroit Rock City enjoying a Alchemist Heady Topper.
Detroit Rock City enjoying that view!
Detroit Rock City stole the last few Oreo/chocolate chip cookie cheesecake bars from our co-worker, Hannaford.
I clearly did not learn my lesson after eating six donuts on a hiking trip...
I am so glad I hiked this mountain again in the clouds!!!!!!!!!!!
SON OF A BISCUIT THE CLOUDS ARE BREAKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PS: The north knob is clearly higher so why is this even a question!
I see mountains!
Even Mt. Chocorua is visible!
The Sandwich Wilderness is coming into view.
Loon Mountain through a cloud.
The Osceolas, North Tripyramid, and Mt. Passaconaway
The Hancocks
Mt. Flume and the Flume Slide
Mt. Bond
Bondcliff
That is more like it!
This photo is provided by (name redacted). Used with permission.
Back on the north knob summit of South Kinsman. These other people never went to the south knob.
Yeah buddy!
This photo is provided by (name redacted). Used with permission.
The tower on the summit of Cannon Mt.
I think that is the roof of Greenleaf Hut.
Scaur Ridge...a bushwhack for another day...
A few clouds left ruining the view of the Franconia Ridge.
Lonesome Lake from the view on North Kinsman.
Mt. Lafayette
Cannon Mt.
This photo is provided by (name redacted). Used with permission.


Detroit Rock City down at the lower viewpoint.
Sometimes the zoom on my advanced point-and-shoot camera amazes me.

One day I will take a good photo of Boomer and I again...

Mt. Moosilauke


I am sure there is a better view of the flume, but in two hikes I have never gone past this part.
That is quite the dike!

Detroit Rock City's and my Garmin were only off by less than a 1/4 of a mile this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment