November Heat Wave Allows for a Bonus Hike Up Mt. Garfield!

Trip Details
Date: November 6th, 2015
Total Distance: 10.66 mi (via Trimble Outdoors Navigator Pro on iPhone 4S)
Total Time: 4 hours 8 minutes
Total Elevation: 3082 ft gained
Click for more details.

Typically after October the snow has taken over the higher summits and I get to relax for about two months until the start of winter hiking. So, I finished my fall hiking, packed my stuff up, and mentally started to prepare for other things I could do on my days off. Well, then Mother Nature acted in her typical New England unpredictable way and through a heat wave at us the first week of November. This resulted in all the snow and ice that was present on the higher summits to melt and almost resulted in record highs on Mt. Washington. I watched the weather pretty closely, secretly hoping for some rain so I could use that as an excuse not to go. Everything was packed, though, and when I woke up the weather forecasted had shifted even better for up in the Pemigewasset Wilderness region. So, Boomer and I got ready and headed off.

Mt. Garfield was our choice as I had wanted to hike it all year, since my previous time on the mountain was in the winter with an insanely cold windchill on the summit. For one reason or another it just never happened so I figured I would try again in 2016. So I took advantage of the weather and went for it. Things were not looking good, though, as the trip was in the fog as I crossed New Hampshire and started north on I-93. Finally around Tilton, the fog lifted. When the Franconia Ridge came into view it was showing as an undercast! My excitement spiked quickly. I could see all the summits rising above the clouds, now all I needed was for the clouds to linger long enough for me to get to the trailhead and hike to the top.



Boomer and I moved as fast as we could as the trail is relatively easy. Besides a few breaks to apply blister band-aids to my heels we made good time to the junction of the Garfield Ridge Trail. Sadly, this trip also meant the end for my L.L. Bean Cresta Hiking Boots that I really did like but over the past year just stopped fitting correctly and doing a number to my heels. Boomer needed a few boosts up the scrambles as we made our way towards the summit spur trail.


The wind on the summit was gusting probably between 30 and 50 mph as we had to move quick to get into the summit foundation. Thankfully, it was a warm wind as the temperature on the summit was still over 50ºF. It was actually hard to stand up and keep the camera still. Boomer and I hung out for a bit as I took some photos of the Pemigewasset Wilderness. The undercast had moved on, but the views were amazing with all the summits in the White Mountains clear (except for the Bonds). I still desire to summit this mountain one day when the wind is not so strong and it is warm out.

Galehead and the Twins
The Presidentials beyond North Twin.
Galehead, South Twin, Guyot, and the Bonds (in the clouds)
Looking into the Pemigewasset Wilderness.
Clouds obscuring the Bonds.
Looking towards the Sandwich Range Wilderness.
Owls Head
The Franconia Ridge
Mt. Lincoln and Mt. Lafayette
Mt. Lafayette and the Garfield Ridge
North Kinsman and Cannon Mt.
Cannon Mt.
Looking towards the Green Mountains in Vermont.
Some undercast hanging around the Green Mountains.




The summit foundation.
Eventually, we started our descent and made quick work of it. The weather was starting to get iffy at times and we had some brief rain showers  to deal with so we had little reason to doddle. As we drove away the clouds took over the summits and the views disappeared. We had timed it just perfect.

This tree fell some time between when we started and finished.

The mileage was only about a half of a mile off this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment